Wednesday, 28 October 2015

BarreConcept at the Happy Being Studios, Edinburgh

I've been a little bit M.I.A from the blog for a while but I'm back now! Yes, I'm back with wonderful stories of  taking part in a ballet fitness class. When you think about a ballerina, perhaps the person who falls out of trees and off of toilets is not the graceful type of person you have in mind?

You'd be wrong though because clearly, underneath the klutzy surface, I am a sophisticated ballerina just waiting for her moment to shine.



Or perhaps not.....


I was invited along to the Happy Being studios to take part in the BarreConcept taster class run by Veronika, who actually is a graceful ballerina type so maybe with her guidance there is hope for me yet.

The class took part in a small room which was great because it was an intimate setting and so Veronika's attention wasn't spread over too many people. The basic concept behind Barre workouts is to blend movements and postures from pilates, yoga and ballet. It follows a pretty straightforward format in that first, full range muscular contractions are performed. For example, a full plie. (Look at me using the ballet jargon like I actually know what I'm talking about!) This is then followed by end range isometric contractions which would be something like pausing at the mid plie stage and pulsing up and down. Finally, a static hold is undertaken and this causes the muscle to fatigue. I can attest for this fact as it was during the static holds that my legs began to resemble a wobbly jelly. A range of stretches are also incorporated into the routine in order to allow this poor wibbly wobbly ballerina to rest elongate the muscles. It's not hard to understand why ballerinas look so bloody good.

The class consisted of a lot of reps of a few classic movements like plies, lunges and leg raises. There was also a lot of time spent holding our hands gracefully in the air, which is a lot harder than it sounds, honestly. Try it if you don't believe me and tell me how long you can keep it raised before the burning sets in.

Overall, I found the class tough but enjoyable and would definitely try it again. I imagine that it would be good for cross training when I'm running as it's a bit lower impact but still a good workout for my legs.

If you're interested in trying out the BarreConcept classes then Veronika is running regular classes on Tuesdays at 12 noon, 1pm, 5.15pm, 6.15pm and 7.15pm at the Happy Being studios located at 14 Alva Street, Edinburgh.

Prices are £60 for a block of five classes or £110 for a block of ten. Block bookings are valid for six months from the date of purchase.

If you want to find out more then you can email Veronika at info@edinbarre.co.uk and she will help you set up an account on the online booking system at https:/studiobookingsonline.com/edinbarre








4 comments:

  1. Thank you again Kylie! It was lovely to have you in class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for having me. Best of luck with the classes!

      Delete
  2. Yay you're back! Now I'm getting into running I'm looking for some fun cross training activities and this looks perfect! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realised that I hadn't got back to you! Yeh it was good cross training. Hope the running is going well? X

      Delete