Monday, 14 September 2015

Total Warrior Edinburgh 2015

After managing to successfully navigate my way out of Tough Mudder this year, I was kind of hoping that my dalliance with mud runs was at an end.

Then I remembered that I had signed up for Total Warrior. This was at the cajolement of my friend Ruth (on the left in the picture above), who also added a few challenges on to my list for last year. I'm reconsidering our friendship, if you were wondering. The day seemed so far away when I agreed to take part but alas, time moves swiftly and before I really knew it, it was a cold, wet and windy Saturday morning and I was getting out of bed at 6.30am to make my way to Balgone Estate in order to throw myself around in some puddles - which, let me be very clear about this, is the very biggest understatement ever.

It was freezing when we arrived and I desperately wanted to keep my jumper on as a defence against the weather but after much discussion I agreed with the others that it would only get wet and I'd end up even colder. I knew this. I did. I still didn't want to take my lovely, warm jumper off. However, I capitulated to everybody else's good sense and that is how I came to be standing outside on a freezing September day in Scotland in a state of undress.

The course design team at Total Warrior obviously predicted my upset at the cold weather and decided to make the first obstacle a run up and down a steep hill, four times. That was nice of them, I thought.

I got to the end of the hill runs and no longer felt concern about hypothermia, rather I was somewhat more concerned with whether or not my legs would continue to hold me upright. Then we entered into the woods and made our way down to the lake, navigating the tree roots and the muddy spots. As with Tough Mudder there were plenty of water obstacles. I look strangely happy about this fact. Appearances can be deceiving.

My particular favourite was the one which you had to jump over a fire to get into. As I approached it I screamed to the steward

'I can't do it! I can't hold my nose because my hands are muddy!'

The horrifying thought of a nose full of water clearly helped me get over my reservations about my muddy hands.



Look at me - leaping like a gazelle!! Exquisite form if I do say so myself.

As a result of the whole whiplash situation there were a couple of obstacles I didn't bother to attempt because I knew that I wouldn't manage them and I didn't want to fall and jerk my neck again. This included the monkey bars (not a forte of mine) and a wall with climbing footholds which we had to traverse horizontally, falling into water if we slipped off. I was definitely going to slip off so I just daintily trotted around the side. All in the name of health and safety, obviously.

I did however give the obstacle titled 'Logging it' a shot. This involved carrying a log up a hill (those course designers bloody loved hills). I'm glad I did it if only for the photographic evidence in which I am the epitome of Scottishness.


All in all, a great day was had so I'm thankful to Ruth for roping me into this challenge (honestly) and it was great to catch up with my old pals from NFU Scotland and run around in a muddy field being a bit of a prat.

Next stop - half marathon!

5 comments:

  1. Omg these photos are insane!! How can you still look good dripping in mud? Also I think everyone should have a friend like Ruth she sounds fun!! Well done on completing it I am in awe of you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha they are pretty mad photos! I don't know if I agree with you on the looking good part but cheers anyway! Haha yes Ruth has been very instrumental in roping me into additional activities. I didn't feel so fondly towards her at 6.30 on Saturday morning though! Ha x

      Delete
  2. Wow, congrats on completing this, it looks so tough! However, I bet you had so much fun and you're proud of yourself! The photos look great, well done x

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Samantha! Yeh it was tough but also great fun. Glad you like the photos :) xx

      Delete
  3. Excellent website you have so much cool information!..
    best retreat

    ReplyDelete